Monday, August 27, 2012

The 'Walk Away' Dress

Ahh, ze 'Walk Away' Dress. Considered to be a phenomenally easy pattern that you can start at breakfast and walk away in by lunch hour. Mine took a little longer. More like from breakfast to dinner... the next day.

It is... a very... interesting dress. I can gladly say this cost me under $20 to make. I made the bias myself to match my shoe colour as closely as possible.

 

It's not the kind of dress you'd want to wear on a windy day. Make sure you have your best panties on before leaving the house!


So yes, the pattern is Butterick 4790. I had been seeing this pattern for ages but it never took my fancy, until I saw this version. I'm still not completely sold but hey, I ain't complaining.


Y'all like my new pin up coat and bag? And how awesome are my shades?! I need to get them fitted with prescription lenses so I can actually, ya know, see out of them.

SO MUCH PINK

Mr Wind! Please!


Along with self made bias I also made self covered buttons. This is not how the pattern calls for the dress to be closed, but for some reason I couldn't get the wrap piece to meet in a pink fit. Oh ho ho, Natalie, nice pun.

13 comments:

  1. I made one of these years ago, and still am only ehhh about it. I think it can look really good. but gosh is it hard to wear out and dance in with the wrap around. You sit/move incorrectly and wayyyyy to much leg shows. I also had issues with the front closure....
    nice shoes ^_^ i want them in the mint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm not head over hot pink heels or anything. I originally made this instead of what I've been working on because I said to my "boyfriend" that I wouldn't allow myself to see him until I'd finished making a dress. Well, I have no idea what's going on there but hey! I have a new dress!

      Delete
  2. I like this on you. Roughly ow much fabric did you purchase for the bias binding just curious. Not made bias binding before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use this tutorial :)

      http://www.coletterie.com/tutorials-tips-tricks/continuous-bias-tape-tutorial

      I bought half a meter of the poplin because I knew I needed to make a lot. But 10"x10" squares are all you need :)

      Delete
  3. I've been watching other people make this pattern, and for me it's one that I've put into the pile of dresses that look nice in photos but would drive me absolutely insane to wear! Do you think this is a wear again one for you, or will it be retired?
    PS: looooooove the coat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I ever wear it out it will be worn with a petticoat! Annoying as all hell!! Hehehe! Maybe if you used a really heavy fabric for the back part, my paper taffeta hasn't really done me any favours! x

      Delete
  4. This is one of the few retro/vintage patterns on Vogue's site that I didn't order. It just didn't call to me. But I really like what you have done with it. I love the pink and I love the adjustments you made. The length and the covered buttons are fab. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add that I am now going to order it during the next pattern sale. #ProjectEnvy

      Delete
  5. Loooooove this! Pink cheetah!! As usual, you look cute as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy I love this dress! I love pink! I love fuchsia! This dress has got me all excited!!!! Look frickin awesome!!!!
    xoxoxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god you are so funny in your photo shoots, they're really great shots! i'm loving your sunnies, did you get them recently? That is a bizarre pattern alright, I've been tempted a few times to give it a bash but I wouldn't know where to begin with picking fabrics etc.. I love Edelweiss's version too but know I would NEVER get a chance to wear it, especially in rainy Ireland.
    Kay xx
    LittleRubyRobin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about making this for a while, and I need to know, is it busty? As in, does it fit a large bust as it comes, or is more for the smaller girls?

    Also, excellent fabric. I've been stalking the blue of the leopard print for a couple fo months now, waiting for it to come down. Come on spotlight clearance table, work your magic for Momma....

    ReplyDelete