Saturday, February 18, 2012

Black Ceylon

The moment I found out I would soon become a Spotlight employee I hurriedly purchased the fabric to make a black Ceylon. That was maybe 6 weeks ago.


When it comes to black, nothing thrills me less, really. I'm usually so enrapt in my project because of quirky fabrics or a super cute exciting design. I do love the Ceylon pattern, but this time round it felt slightly less exciting.


I do like the end result though! And I got a few compliments at work today, as I finally finished the darned thing last night! Hurrah!


I made my own piping with sating fabric but was dismayed when I discovered a very pretty satin bias tape stocked in my own damn store. Ah well! I guess it's noticeable enough, though I was hoping for really shiny piping.


Buttons are always a doozy, especially when there's 16 all the way down the front! It doesn't sound like that many really until you see the dress itself. My mum watched me chalk out all the markings and just shook her head. She believes I am a pillar of patience... uh, for sewing anyway!


So yes! My black Ceylon, made with cotton drill :)


I have purchased some new fabrics online, as well as from Spotlight, so I shall post about them gradually. I've added about 50 things to my project schedule which I endeavor to have finished by the end of the year. Seeing as new things get added every week this probably won't happen.

And in other news! My Betty Boop bobble-head haha

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! This really looks nice! I liked your black Sorbetto/Ginger combination, too... very classic and cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like to look a bit nice at work! :P

      Delete
  2. Oooh nice! And there's nothing better than a compliment from a stranger! After your junk food ceylon that suited you so well, I'm not half surprised that this does too :) I feel the same way about black... black just ain't me. I've yet to try the button hole function thingy on my machine - this is good inspiration to try!
    And thanks for your intended vote for my jeans :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It is actually the best thing ever, and drives me to do what I do... is that the wrong kind of motivation?! Who cares!! Hehe!! I just love how Colette patterns are so curvy, makes for no adjusting for me. For years I feared the button to the point where I wouldn't even buy a pattern if I noticed it had buttons anywhere. But once you figure out how to use the buttonholer it's a breeze! :D

      Delete
  3. I love this! I know it's not your usual bright style, but the fit is great and it's so cute and vintagey and works very well with your glasses, which, by the way, I ADORE. And I want them. Really great!

    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I am quite fond of my eyewear. I figured if I'm going to be burdened with bad eyesight I might as well be fashionable about it!

      Delete